Friday, February 13, 2015

Love Hugs

Love Hugs are 2-inch figures made by The Hug Factory. They are designed to look like handmade clay figures that you'd pay $30 for on Etsy.  However, they are indeed mass-produced, made-in-China, painted resin for 1/10th the price.  They come glued to little folded-paper stands that have both a cutesy poem and and a convenient to-you-from-me spot to write some names.  The Hug Factory makes dozens of versions for all kinds of holidays, occasions, and occupations. 


Love Hugs have been around since 1996 -- in fact, several of these sculpts have (c) 1996 stamped into their backsides. I have only encountered them in real life one time. Walgreen's took a chance on them for Valentine's back in 2012.  I ended up having 11 different figures given to me -- from all 11 of my lovers!  Haha, just kidding.  No one loves me.  Also, apparently, no one loves Love Hugs. On February 15th (approximately) I bought all 11 for pocket change.

Sincerely, though, I think they are cool.  I like the consistency of design, the details in the assortment, the retro-pseudo-homemade look, and their positive messages.  I've torn them apart from their poems to take these pictures. Granted, these are not really intended to be toys, but I wanted to let them live anyway.

Love Hug #1 -- Flowers

Love Hug #2 -- Framed Photo

Love Hug #3 -- Balloon

Love Hug #4 -- Chocolates

Love You Hug -- Ribbon

Cupid Hug -- Arrows

Valentine Hug -- Present 

Red Hot Hug -- Flames

Well, technically, that's all the Love Hugs -- because the rest are Kisses.  As you have noticed, Hugs have no arms.  Kisses -- also lack arms -- but they have feathers!  They basically look like Sy Snootles.  Pucker-up!
 
Kiss #1 -- No Pupils

Kiss #2 -- Glasses

Sexy Kiss -- Rose

It seems that the 12th one in what I am calling "the Valentine's series" is called a Love Bug Hug.  It's another fully painted Hug (like my favorite, the Red Hot Hug) that has little antennae making it kinda look like an insect (or an alien). It must have been the most popular one at Walgreen's the year that they carried these. I can get it through the Hug Factory website for $3.75 plus another $5.75 shipping.  Maybe I will do that. Or maybe my Valentine will order it for me.

Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment