Friday, December 5, 2014

Mutant Mania

Mutant Mania is the newest toyline from the Australian toy company known as Moose. Presumably Mutant Mania is here to replace The Trash Pack after its successful run of seven standard series (plus another seven spin-off series). Mutant Mania began in September, 2014 as a Toys R Us exclusive.

At its core, Mutant Mania is a collection of 60 uniquely sculpted figures plus another 60 variant figures. Then there's another five unique figures available only with playsets, and a final four extremely rare "Limited Edition" blind-pack chase figures, bringing the total number of Series 1 figures to 129.

Things I like:

1. In general, I really like the sculpts, the names, and the factions. The creativity in this regard is what ultimately sells the toyline.


2. I like the size of the figures.  They are typically 1.75 inches tall. This is the perfect minifigure size in my opinion (and the opinion of many other fans and collectors).


3. I like that there are two version of each character and each version is unique by plastic-type and not just paint application. There's a painted version made of opaque plastic and an unpainted variant made of translucent plastic.  Only the eyes are painted on the translucent figures (a detail which I also like).  Among the Reptiles of Rage (a group exclusive to the 8-packs), there is no translucent variant, but rather a monochromatic version made of glow-in-the-dark plastic.  The painted versions of this faction also glow.  The two best plastic toy variants are always "clearies" and "glowies," so they got that right. 


4. I like that there are only two versions of each figure.  With the Trash Pack, there were typically three versions of each figure to collect.  Gluttonous overkill is so common with this type of toy.


5. I like that the two versions of each figure are numbered next to one another. With the Trash Pack, the numbering system was all over the place. 


6. I like that the Mutant Mania figures are made of hard plastic -- also in contrast to the soft, bouncy rubber of the Trash Pack.


7. In general, I like the packaging.  Specifically, I like that you are not forced to buy all these bins and cans like you had to with the Trash Pack.  The Mutant Mania 4-pack has no silly cans and the 8-pack comes with only one. It's a reasonable size and I also like that you can display two figures on the pegs on the tops of the energy-drink styled cans.


Things I dislike:

1. I don't like that the four exclusive figures that come with the Rampage Arena are color-variant pairs instead of either translucent or glow-in-the-dark variants like the rest of the series. I also don't like that "Combo Commando" (who comes with the Mutant Masher vehicle) does not have a variant figure at all. What I'm saying I don't like is inconsistency.  



2. I don't like that some of the figures have weapons.  There's some knives, and swords, and even a chainsaw. Not such a big deal, I guess.  But -- Fangor has a freakin' gun!  What the heck?  These guys are wrestlers!  It's a sport, not a war! Bringing a gun in the ring?  Not exactly a fair match!


3. I don't like the silly rubber "spine" that holds the figure's three body pieces together.  If you must market the "mix and match" gimmick, please use standard peg-joints or ball-joints.  For this reason, I keep looking at these and just wishing Mega Bloks had developed this line.  The figures are the same size (and the same plastic) as Mega Bloks' figures, they just need the articulation. Man, I wish Mega Bloks would develop an original minifigure-driven toyline of mutant characters!


4. I don't like the way Moose arranges the figures within packs to strategically force collectors to buy enormous amounts of duplicates in order to complete their sets.  We're already after 120+ figures, please give us a break with the intentionally packaged glut of duplicate figures.  I promise you, people buy less of a toyline because of this very reason.  Many people get sick of this tactic and reject the whole line. I would say that 60 figures and 60 variants is a reasonable number for a toy release of this size/type/quality because it creates a reasonable goal for collectors if those 120 figures are attainable with zero to very few duplicates acquired in the process.  However, because of the way Moose intentionally develops and packages their toys, you're not only going to spend a lot of money, but also end up with a pile of duplicates, just to assemble a base set.  I know, I know, no one forces anyone to buy toys, but more people, overall, will take interest in the toyline if the attainment of the base set were more straightforward.


5. I don't like the way Moose releases their figures in waves.  At the time of their initial release, you could buy every Mutant Mania pack around and you couldn't form a single set.  The simple fact is, not all the figures on the checklist would have even been available.  At all... anywhere... period.  Sure, plenty of toy companies do this with toys released in package types where you see what you are getting.  However, it's completely disingenuous to say "collect them all" with blind-pack items, when not all the items even exist (yet) in the market.


I'm just saying sell your toys based on their merits as individual figures and a collective set, and not by using shrewd tactics that require fans of the toyline to buy more and more of the same, in hope of getting something different.

So, do the likes outweigh the dislikes? 
Well, hopefully, all these photos should answer that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment